Union Nabs First-Ever Club Win in U.S. Open Cup Overtime Victory

Published Apr 7, 2022

The Flower City Union squad opened up their Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup campaign Wednesday night at the Lusitano Stadium in Massachusetts against the Western Mass Pioneers.

With a pretty evenly matched first half finishing scoreless, the Union had several chances just unable to close the deal.

Kicking off the second half with some fresh legs entering the pitch, the Union started to lay on the pressure. Stifling chance after chance on both ends, regulation ended scoreless. 

Overtime consists of two 15-minute periods that if concluded without a clear winner would lead to a shoot-out. Heading into the first overtime period, the Union came out firing. Just 3 minutes deep into overtime, Lukas Fernandes in heavy traffic found the back of the net to put the Union ahead, 1-0, over the Pioneers. Several Union chances preceded and magnificent work from Ortega in net kept the Union ahead, 1-0, at the conclusion of the first overtime period. 

Needing the hold on to their lead through the final 15-minute overtime period, the Pioneers came out firing. Several risky chances to start the period, but Union defense was able to stifle. With an untimely red card awarded to Micheletti just 4 minutes into the period, the Union were in an unfortunate 10-man squad to finish out the period. Union defense kept a consistent clearing of the ball to get to the end of overtime. Thought notable in the final moments of overtime there was pure madness in front of the Union net with several back-to-back chances for the Pioneers that could not put one away. 


The Union survive and advance into the third round of the U.S. Open Cup - next game will take place April 19th on our home pitch, opponent TBD.


This season is all about writing the history books of this club - may it be noted with this victory over the Western Mass Pioneers, we pen the first-ever club win for the Flower City Union soccer club. Cheers!

Flower City Union